A. The error you've described is commonly caused by reinstalling XP over an existing installation or an in-place upgrade, which corrupts the winsta.dll file. Common symptoms include
- If you right-click My Computer and select Properties or if you launch System Restore from msconfig.exe, you receive error: Rundll32.exe Entry point not found
The procedure entry RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located
in the dynamic link library winsta.dll.
- The System Restore tab will be missing from the Control Panel System applet.
To resolve the error, perform the following steps:
- Reboot the computer into Safe Mode (press F8 when the boot menu appears and select the Safe Mode option).
- After Windows starts, open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the \%systemroot%\inf folder (e.g., C:\windows\inf).
- Right-click the file sr.inf and select Install from the context menu.
- Reboot the computer in Normal mode.
If the previous steps don't resolve the problem, try reinstalling the latest service pack.