A. If you install Windows 2003 over an existing Windows 2003 installation, you might receive any of the following errors:
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Cmprops.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Licwmi.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Mmfutil.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Servereps.dl_
You might also notice errors in the scssetup.log file in the \%systemroot%\security folder. These errors are the result of a corrupted secedit.sdb file. This file corruption often occurs when a computer suddenly stops rather than completing a controlled shutdown.
To resolve these errors, you must use the esentutl.exe file to repair the database by performing the following steps:
- Start a command session.
- Run Esentutl's repair option by typing
esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
- Click OK to the displayed dialog box. Esentutl will confirm the repair by displaying a log file similar to the following example:
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Database Utilities Version 5.2 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Initiating REPAIR mode... Database: C:\WINDOWS\security\database\secedit.sdb Temp. Database: TEMPREPAIR4072.EDB Checking database integrity. Scanning Status (% complete) 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----| ................................................... Integrity check successful. Note: It is recommended that you immediately perform a full backup of this database. If you restore a backup made before the repair, the database will be rolled back to the state it was in at the time of that backup. Operation completed successfully in 129.176 seconds.
- Navigate to the \%windir%\security folder by typing
- Remove the edb0000x.log file by typing
You'll then be able to perform the in-place upgrade.