A. If you install Windows 2003 over an existing Windows 2003 installation, you might receive any of the following errors:
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Cmprops.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Licwmi.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Mmfutil.dl_
- Setup Cannot Copy the File Servereps.dl_
You might also notice errors in the scssetup.log file in the \%systemroot%\security folder. These errors are the result of a corrupted secedit.sdb file. This file corruption often occurs when a computer suddenly stops rather than completing a controlled shutdown.
To resolve these errors, you must use the esentutl.exe file to repair the database by performing the following steps:
- Start a command session.
- Run Esentutl's repair option by typing
esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
- Click OK to the displayed dialog box. Esentutl will confirm the repair by displaying a log file similar to the following example: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Database Utilities
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Initiating REPAIR mode...
Temp. Database: TEMPREPAIR4072.EDB
Checking database integrity.
Scanning Status (% complete)
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
Integrity check successful.
It is recommended that you immediately perform a full backup
of this database. If you restore a backup made before the
repair, the database will be rolled back to the state
it was in at the time of that backup.
Operation completed successfully in 129.176 seconds.
- Navigate to the \%windir%\security folder by typing
- Remove the edb0000x.log file by typing
You'll then be able to perform the in-place upgrade.