The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers 802.11 wireless networking standards have been modified and support for 802.11 wireless networks has been updated in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.
These changes include, but are not limited to:
- The Microsoft 802.1X Authentication Client is included in Windows 2000 SP4.
- The WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) wireless security update is included in Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.
- Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 have many new wireless features.
- Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 have an improved user interface, improved diagnostics, and the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard.
- Windows Server 2003 SP1 includes the wireless enhancements in Windows XP SP2.
- Windows Server 2003 SP1 includes updates to the Wireless Network Group Policy extension.
These changes are described in detail in the Updates to Deploying Secure 802.11 Wireless Networks with Microsoft Windows white paper.