Starting with Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP, SP4 for Windows 2000, and all versions of Windows Server 2003, the Client Side Extensions (CSE) for Software Installation will automatically remove any installations of a program, at startup, or when you log on, before Group Policy installs the assigned / published program, under the following conditions:
- The previous / existing installation has the same Windows Installer product code as the Windows Installer package that is deployed.
- The previous / existing installation was NOT installed by Group Policy-based Software Installation.
CSE for Software Installation will NOT remove the previous / existing program if:
- The program was installed for all users of the computer.
- The program had been granted elevated administrative credentials.
- The program was installed for an administrator.
NOTE: In previous versions of these operating systems, programs were not automatically removed unless the Remove previous installs of this product from computers, if the product was not installed by Group Policy-based Software Installation or Remove existing installs of this product for users, if the product was not installed by Group Policy-based Software Installation options were enabled on the Advanced Deployment Options dialog in the Software Installation snap-in.