When you try to print to a USB connected printer, the following message appears over the printer icon in the Notification Area of the taskbar:
Problem communicating with the printer.
Installing the latest drivers does NOT resolve the problem.
This problem may occur if Windows turns off the power to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Root Hub to save power.
To workaround this issue:
1. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc / OK to open Device Manager.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
3. Right-click a USB Root Hub and press Properties.
NOTE: You may have to complete the following steps for each USB Root Hub listed.
4. Select the Power Management tab.
5. Clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
6. Press OK.
7. When you are finished with each USB Root Hub, close Device Manager.