When installing a hotfix or service pack:
1. You must be a member of the local Administrators group on the computer.
2. You must disable any antivirus software.
3. You should close all applications.
If you are prompted for a location to extract hotfix files, the files are extracted, but the hotfix installer, Update.exe, does NOT start, you have a version of Update.exe earlier than 126.96.36.199. The problem is fixed in later versions.
This behavior is because earlier versions of the the hotfix installer pick a drive with a lot of free disk space, and not the drive that you specify. If you have a removable drive with a large amount of free space, it may be picked. Since the hotfix installer only allows expansion to a fixed disk drive, you experience the problem.
To workaround this behavior:
1. Dismount any removable media that contains a large amount of free space.
2. Always specify an non-root location for file extraction, <Drive:>\Folder rather than <Drive:>.
3. The folder that you specify must not contain any files or sub-folders, or the cleanup process may delete them.