When you use Active Directory Users and Computers to add a user to a global group, you receive:
Object picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects could be found.
This error will occur if the the Remote Registry service is NOT started on the domain controller that the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in is connected to.
NOTE: If the snap-in is connected to the PDC FSMO role holder, the error is NOT reported.
NOTE: If you attempt to manage local group membership, the domain that the domain controller is a 'member of' is NOT listed.
To resolve the problem:
1. On the domain controller, right-click My Computer and press Manage.
2. Expand Services And Applications and expand Services.
3. Double-click the Remote Registry Service and set the Startup type to Automatic.
4. Press Apply.
5. Press Start to start the service.
6. Press OK and close Computer Management.
NOTE: This error message will also occur on a multi-homed computer, if your local network adapter is NOT first in the binding order.
NOTE: This error will also occur if you configure more than 15 IP Addresses for your NIC at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<ID_of_Adapter>. The IPAddress Value Name is a REG_MULTI_SZ data type.