Windows XP installs the Remote Assistance feature by default.
To check your configuration:
1. Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Remote.
2. The Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer box should be checked.
3. Press the Advanced button to Set the maximum amount of time invitations can remain open. The maximum is 30 days.
4. If you want the expert user to be able to control your computer, check the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely box.
5. Press OK.
6. If you made any changes, press the Apply button.
7. Press OK.
You can Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer by using the registry:
1. Use Regedit to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
2. Double-click the fAllowToGetHelp Value Name, a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 1. A data value of 0 will deny connections.
NOTE: You do NOT have to restart for this change to become effective.
NOTE: See In tip 4136.