A. I've seen this on all my Windows 2000 installations and its caused if the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\IRPStackSize is less than 11.
To correct the problem perform the following:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
- Double click on IRPStackSize
- Set the type to decimal and enter 11. Click OK
- Close the registry editor
You can also run the reg file at http://www.ntfaq.com/misc/fixirpstacksize.reg to fix it for you.
It is my understanding that Norton Antivirus is guilty of changing this to an invalid value.