Q: What's included in Windows Management Framework 5.0?
A: Previous versions of Windows Management Framework (WMF) have included new versions of PowerShell, in addition to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and WinRM updates, compatibility with Server Manager via updated Common Information Model (CIM) providers, and various other components. WMF 5.0 is focused on updates to the PowerShell environment, specifically the following five areas:
- Windows PowerShell 5.0, which features some new cmdlets such as Get-ItemPropertyValue (to look at property values directly).
- Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE).
- Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC) performance and optimizations (and bug fixes).
- Network Switch cmdlets (in the NetworkSwitch module), which allow management of switches that are R2 certified to have management related to global configuration, VLAN configuration, and Layer 2 port configurations performed.
- OneGet, which allows the discovery and installation of packages from around the web, including services such as Chocolatey (the NuGet Manager is automatically installed when running a cmdlet such as Get-PackageSource for the first time). After you find the package you want (using Find-Package cmdlet), you can install it using Install-Package -Name <name of package>. This is a simple and interesting addition to PowerShell for non-enterprise environments (becaues enterprises likely use their own software repositories).