A. Typically, when you make a change on a domain controller (DC), the DC will notify its replication partners within the site. DCs in other sites must wait for the regular replication cycle. If you have sites that are connected by a very fast medium and want notification-based replication between those sites, you can make a change to the site link to enable intersite notification-based replication by performing the following steps:
- Start the Adsiedit tool by typing the command
Adsiedit.mscAdsiedit is a support tool, so you must have installed the Windows Support Tools from the Windows 2000 Server or later CD-ROM (support\tools folder).
- Expand the Configuration container, then expand CN=Sites and CN=Inter-Site Transports. Select CN=IP.
- The right pane of the Adsiedit tool lists your site links. Right-click the site link for which you want to enable notification and select Properties from the context menu.
- Double-click the Option attribute.
- If the Option value is currently <Not Set>, enter 1 and click OK. If it has a value, you need to derive its new value. To do so, convert the current value to binary and then use the OR function to combine it with 0001. For example, a current value of 4 is 0100 in binary. Then you OR 0100 with 0001 and get 0101, which, converted to decimal, is 5. Therefore, you enter a value of 5.