When you try to start a Performance monitor alert, you receive an error that instructs you to check the event log.
The Performance Logs and Alerts service in Windows Server 2003 run in the Network Service context, but the SMS performance counters are designed to run in the Local System context.
To workaround this issue, change the Performance Logs and Alerts service to run in the Local System context:
1. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
2. Double-click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts.
5. Select the Log On tab.
6. Check the Local System Account radial button.
7. Press Apply and OK.
8. On the General tab, press Stop.
9. On the General tab, press Start.