A. Many applications such as Office and other document based programs may add options to the New context menu. This can slow down the system since IE 4 as to generate this list it has to fetch the icons for each of the documents.
Its possible to remove items from the new context menu by performing the following:
- Identify the file extension for the context menu item, for example obd for Microsoft Office Binder (if you are unsure of the extension just create a document of the type then check the extension)
- Start the registry editor (Regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.<extension>, e.g.HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.obd
- Delete or rename the ShellNew key. It may not always be at the root of the key, for example to disable .obd I had to goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.obd\Office.Binder.9\ShellNew.
- Close the registry editor
- The context item should no longer be displayed
This can also be accomplished using the TweakUI utility.