A. If you run the Desktop control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Desktop) and select the Plus! tab you can check the box "Show icons using all possible colors" to get better resolution icons, however this can also be done by directly editing the registry (if you don't have the Plus! tab or if you wish to perform via a logon script etc.)
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
- From the Edit menu select New - String Value
- Enter a name of "Shell Icon BPP" (don't type the quotes) and press enter
- Double click the new value and set to 16 if you have a 16 bit graphic card or 24 for 24 bit graphics cards. Click OK
- Close the registry editor
Pressing F5 to refresh your screen should make the change take effect, if not reboot.