A. Assuming you've created a .bkf file from a DC in the same domain as the server that you want to promote, perform the following steps:
- Log on to the Windows 2003 server that you want to promote to a DC.
- Start Ntbackup program (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then click Backup).
- When Ntbackup starts, click Next.
- Select "Restore files and settings," then click Next.
- Click Browse, select the backed up file, then click OK.
- Select the System State check box, then click Next.
- Click Advanced.
- Under "Restore files to:", select "Alternate location," specify the new location (e.g., C:\temp\sysstate), then click Next.
- Click Next until the final dialog box appears, then click Finish.
- Click Close once to complete the restore.
After the restore is complete, you'll see an Active Directory (AD) folder in the restore location. The AD folder contains the ntds.dit file, which is the storage file for the AD content, and a corresponding log file. The only folders you need to promote a DC are the AD and Registry folders.