A. This can be caused by installing DNS on a machine that has previous settings contained in the %systemroot%\system32\dns directory. To correct perform the following.
- Stop the Microsoft DNS server using the Services control panel applet ( Start - settings - control panel - services). Select Microsoft DNS and select stop
- Backup any zone files from the %systemroot%\system32\dns directory that you may want
- Remove the DNS server by right clicking on network neighborhood and selecting properties. Click the services tab, select DNS and click Remove
- Delete all files in the %systemroot%\system32\dns
- Reinstall DNS server using the services tab of the network control panel applet