A. To add a record, for example TAZ with IP address 22.214.171.124 perform the following on NT 4.0:
- Start the DNS Manager (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - DNS Manager)
- Double click on the name of the DNS server to display the list of zones
- Right click on the domain, and select New Record
- Enter the name, e.g. TAZ and enter IP address. Select the record type. For adding a new host accept the default, record type A.
- If you have the Reverse Arpa zone configured and want the PTR record automatically added, make sure the Create Associated PTR record is checked
- Click OK
The procedure is basically the same on Windows 2000:
- Start the DNS MMC snap-in (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - DNS)
- Expand 'Forward Lookup Zones' and select the DNS domain you wish to add a record to
- Right click on the DNS domain zone and select 'New Host' from the context menu
- Enter the name and IP address for the record and if you want a reverse pointer to be created.
Click here to view image
- Click Add Host