A. When you open files in IE, the browser checks the creator metatags and modifies the Edit option under the File menu accordingly. For example, if you open a document in IE that you created in Microsoft Word, the Edit option will change to read "Edit with Microsoft Word," and if you created the document in Microsoft FrontPage, the Edit option will change to read "Edit with Microsoft FrontPage." If you prefer to always use the default editor, you can change a setting in the registry by performing the following steps:
- Start the registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
- From the Edit menu, select New - String value.
- Enter a name of CheckDocumentForProgID, and press Enter.
- Double-click the new value, set it to "no" (don't type the quotes), and click OK.
- Close the registry editor.