It's been a long year for Windows Updates. Most would suggest it's been a bad year for Windows Updates for Microsoft. Each month has brought about a slew of newly reported problems and customer complaints. Will December 2013 be different? Can Microsoft send us into the Christmas Season and New Year with a modicum of respect for a quality turnaround? Probably not, but according to the Surface firmware updates coming today, it looks like those huddled around the tree on Christmas morn, may be able to bask comfortably, almost confidently, in the glow of their Microsoft device.
Just in time for less work and more fun, Microsoft is releasing a slew of updates aimed at making the Surface more useable and less frustrating during the holidays. The reported Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 overheating problem is being addressed so that games will function normally. And, Wi-Fi seems to be getting an overhaul with new drivers to ensure connectivity with the home network.
Here's the full list of pending updates.
- Screen dimming during CPU intensive operations resolved.
- Decreased charge time for batteries.
- Two-finger trackpad use optimized.
- Update to support additional external displays.
- Skype video quality improved.
- Resolved delay during restart when Bluetooth devices are connected.
Surface Pro 2
- Improved system stability, including when minimizing full screen games.
- Updated Wi-Fi driver for improved wireless display and connectivity with wireless access points.
- Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality.
- Color fidelity improvements for all applications.
- Optimized two-finger trackpad use.
- Enhanced audio experience when connected to a Display Port 1.2 device.
Surface Pro (original)
- Windows 8.0 (no updates)
- Windows 8.1 - Wi-Fi driver (v14.69.24047.156) update for improved wireless display experience.
Surface RT (original)
- Surface Home Button Driver update to optimize available system memory.
- Surface Type Cover audio device driver update to enhance trackpad sounds for Type Cover 2.