One of the primary causes of enormous file size in PowerPoint is the use of photos. If photos have not been prepared specifically for PowerPoint, they are generally much higher resolution, and much larger, than they need to be for a presentation.
As you may have experienced, a large PowerPoint presentation file size can lead to:
- The inability to email the presentation if it is larger than the allowed attachment size on your email server or that of the recipient.
- Sluggish response while opening the presentation.
- Sluggish response while modifying the presentation.
- Sluggish response during the presentation--slow animations, transitions to other slides, etc.
- An increased likelihood of PowerPoint crashing.