A. First, make sure you've installed the required prerequisites:
- ISAPI Extensions
- Basic Authentication
- Windows Authentication
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility
The common cause for this error if you meet the prerequisites is that your .NET installation is incomplete or corrupt. When you attempt to install the Clustered Mailbox Role, you'll get the following error.
An error occurred while creating the IIS virtual directory 'IIS://savdalex01.savilltech.net/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Exchange' on 'savdalex01'. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Administration, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
The solution is to reinstall .NET 3.0, even though it may show as installed. This should resolve the problem.Related Reading:
- How can I easily install the Windows Server 2008 roles and features that Exchange Server 2007 requires?
- When I try to perform a mailbox move, why do I get errors with accounts that have whitespace in the Name or DisplayName?
- What Mail Server Are You Using?
- Who Says You Need Microsoft Exchange Server?
- Exchange 2007 High Availability
- Creating Policies with Microsoft Exchange MRM
- Using Windows SideShow on a Mobile Device
Check out hundreds more useful Q&As like this in John Savill's FAQ for Windows. Also, watch instructional videos made by John at ITTV.net.