To manage content effectively in the Outline view, you should have the Outlining toolbar visible.
To turn on the Outlining toolbar, do one of the following:
- Choose View → Toolbars ? Outlining.
- Right-click any visible toolbar and choose Outlining.
The toolbar is positioned, by default, docked to the left edge of the PowerPoint window, so that it is easily accessible while working in the outline. You can reposition the toolbar by dragging it to another location.
The Outlining toolbar provides useful shortcuts:
- Collapse All. Collapses the outline to the titles of the slides.
- Expand All. Expands the outline to show all presentation content.
- Collapse. Collapses the currently selected slide. You can also collapse a slide by double-clicking the slide icon next to the slide title.
- Expand. Expands the currently selected slide. You can also expand a slide by double-clicking the slide icon next to the slide title.
- Show Formatting. This button shows and hides formatting in the outline view. Most users prefer to work with formatting off.
To rearrange content in the outline view, you must select the content, then rearrange it.
- Select a slide or bullet by clicking the icon of the slide or bullet. All of the slide or bullet's sub-bullets will automatically be selected as well.
Once you've selected a slide or bullet, you can move its content:
- Re-order content by dragging the slide or bullet up or down in the outline. A line will indicate where the content will "end up" when you drop.
- You can also re-order content using the Move Up and Move Down buttons on the Outlining toolbar.
- Promote or demote content by doing one of the following:
- Press Tab to demote or Shift+Tab to promote the selected bullet.
- Drag the bullet to the right (to demote) or to the left (to promote).
- Click the Demote or Promote buttons on the Outlining toolbar.