When you run the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool to validate your Windows XP install, you receive Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure or an 0x80080204 error code.
This behavior may occur if your computer's date and time are not correct (current).
To workaround this behavior:
1. Logon with an account that has the right to change system time.
2. Start / Run / TimeDate.cpl / OK.
3. Select the Date & Time tab.
4. Set the date an time to be current.
5. Press Apply and OK.
6. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
7. Start Internet Explorer and try to validate your copy of Windows XP.
NOTE: If you computer is joined to a domain and you have the right to change system time on your workstation, you can use the following procedure instead:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type net time %LOGONSERVER% /SET /YES and press Enter
3. Close the CMD.EXE window.
4. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
5. Start Internet Explorer and try to validate your copy of Windows XP.