When you attempt to add a user to a group in Windows XP, the user is NOT added, and you receive:
Local Users and Groups The following error occurred while attempting to read the properties for the user <UserName>: The Server service is not started.This behavior will occur if the Server service is not running.
To resolve this issue:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer /V Start
3. If you receive Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value, the Server service is NOT installed. If you wish to install the service:
Start / Run / ncpa.cpl / OK. Right-click Local Area Connection and press Properties. On the General tab, press Install. Press Service and press Add. Select File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks and press OK. Press Close. Restart your computer.4. If the last line that your receive contains the following, the Server service is disabled:
Start REG_DWORD 0x4If you wish to enable the Server service, type the following command, press Enter, then shutdown and restart Windows XP:
REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer /V Start /T REG_DWORD /F /D 2.
5. If the last line that your receive contains the following, the Server service is stopped:
Start REG_DWORD 0x3If you wish to start the Server service, type the following command, press Enter:
net start server
6. If the last line that your receive contains the following, the Server service has stopped, or failed to start:
Start REG_DWORD 0x2If you wish to start the Server service, type the following command, press Enter:
net start server
7. If you do NOT wish to start or install the Server service:
Start / Run / compmgmt.msc / OK. Expand Computer Management (Local) / System Tools / Local Users and Groups and press Groups. Right-click the group you are interested in and press Add to Group. Press ADD and enter the user account you wish to add. Press OK and .