If you altered the default permissions using the Dcomcnfg.exe tools, you may experience the subject behavior. Specifically:
- If you right-click a Web page hyperlink and press Open in new window, nothing happens.
- If you press a Web page hyperlink that is supposed to open in a new window, nothing happens.
- Hyperlinks in Outlook and Outlook Express don't work.
- Attempts to drag an item result in the not available pointer.
- The use of Edit / Find in Internet Explorer may only work once.
- The Start menu Search for a file may do nothing.
- The Start menu Search on the Internet may do nothing.
- Office Assistant reports errors.
- Dragging from Outlook may report Cannot create another system semaphore.
- You cannot print from Internet Explorer.
- Pressing Start / Windows Update does nothing.
- Windows Update does NOT function properly.
To resolve this problem:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole /V DefaultAccessPermission /F
3. Log off and log back on the console of your Windows Server 2003 computer.