If the subject IrDA device has a Plug and Play ID of *NSC6001, the data transfer may fail if the IrDA transceiver that you configured does NOT match the hardware that you are using.
To resolve this problem:
1. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc /OK.
2. Expand Infrared Devices.
3. Right-click the National Semiconductor IrDA device and press Properties.
4. Select the Advanced tab.
5. Under Property select Infrared Transceiver A.
6. Under Value, select a different transceiver and press OK.
7. Test the IrDA device. If the problem is not resolved, repeat step 6 and step 7.