When you attempt to install an update on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2, your computer stops responding (hangs).
This behavior can occur if a 3rd party filter driver is installed on your computer. The problem is known to occur when the IBM Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore software installs the Ibmfilter.sys, but may occur with other filter drivers.
To resolve this problem:
1. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.
2. Start / Run / control appwiz.cpl / OK.
3. Check the Show updates box near the top of the screen.
4. Scroll to the update that you were installing when Windows hung and select it.
5. Press the Remove button and follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Download and install the Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894):
7. Shutdown and restart your computer.
8. Install the update that caused the hang.