When you try to copy data from your CD drive, or you attempt to install a program from your CD drive, you receive either of the following:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Only part of a readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory request was completed.
This behavior will occur if Windows is configured to use a transfer mode that the CD drive does NOT support.
To resolve this behavior:
1. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc / OK.
2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
3. Double-click the channel where your CD drive is connected, typically the Secondary IDE Channel.
4. Select the Advanced Settings tab.
5. For the Device that represents your CD drive, toggle Transfer Mode to PIO Only and press OK.