In order to use Run As, the SecLogon service must be started on the local computer.
In Windows 2000, the DisplayName of the service is RunAS. In Windows XP and greater, the DisplayName of the service is Secondary Logon.
You can manage the start up of the SecLogon service with group policy or with the registry.
To configure the service using group policy:
1. Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / System Services / Secondary Logon.
2. Double-click Secondary Logon.
3. Select Define this policy setting.
4. Select Service Startup Mode as Automatic.
5. Press Apply.
To configure the service using the registry:
1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\seclogon
2. Set the Start Value Name, a REG_DWORD data type, to 2.
NOTE: Using REG.EXE built into Windows XP and later, or REG.EXE from the Windows 2000 Support Tools on the CD-ROM, you can remotely set the Start Value Name:
reg add \\ComputerName\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services /V seclogon /T REG_DWORD /D 2 /F