When you attempt to install a Bluetooth device, Windows XP does NOT properly detect the device.
This behavior will occur if the device requires a passkey before it allows access to the SDP (Service Discovery Protocol) information.
NOTE: Make sure that the device is set up according to the manufacturer's instructions and is turned on.
To workaround this issue:
1. Start / Run / Bthprops.cpl / OK.
2. If the device appears on the Device tab, select the device and press Remove and Yes.
3. Select the My device is set up and ready to be found box.
4. Press Next.
5. If the device does not appear, make sure that the device is set up according to the manufacturer's instructions and is turned on. Press Search Again.
6. Select a passkey option and press Next.
7. If the documentation for your device includes a passkey or a personal identification number (PIN), press Use the passkey found in the documentation.
8. Type the passkey or the PIN, and press Next.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions.