When you start Windows 2000, you receive:
At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.
When you inspect the System log, you see:
Event ID 12291
Description: SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread.
You may also have Event ID 7002, 7003, and 7022 entries similar to:
Event ID 7002
Source: Service Control Manager
Description: The Distributed File System service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanWorkstation
This problem will occur if Client for Microsoft Networks is NOT installed.
To install Client for Microsoft Networks:
1. Start / Settings / Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Press the Local Area Connection and press Properties.
3. Check the Client for Microsoft Networks box and press Install.
4. Press Client and press Add.
5. Select Client for Microsoft Networks and press OK.
6. Shutdown and restart Windows 2000.
NOTE: Client for Microsoft Networks is added to all network connections.
NOTE: If you are using Microsoft File and Print Services for NetWare, see SAM Failed to Start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX Listening Thread.