When you complete the upgrade to Windows XP Professional from Windows XP Home Edition, you may experience any or all of the following with your dial-up or Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) broadband connections:
- Your Internet connection no longer works.
- Your modem no longer works.
When you attempt to connect, you may receive:
Cannot load remote access connection manager.
This behavior is indicative of incorrect entries in your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP registry key.
To fix the problem:
1. Copy / Paste the following to an EAP_FIX.reg file:
2. Merge the EAP_FIX.reg file with you registry, or run regedit /s EAP_FIX.reg.
3. Shutdown and restart Windows XP Professional.