When you try to install print drivers on Windows 2000 Professional for your downlevel clients (W9x and Windows NT 4.0), you are prompted for the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM?
Printer drivers for these downlevel clients are located in the Printers\NT4 and Printers\Win9x folders of the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM. They are NOT included on the Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM.
If you don't have the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM:
Windows 981. Install the Microsoft printer driver on LPT1 on the Windows 98 computer.
2. Share the C:\Windows folder.
3. When you add additional drivers on the Windows 2000 Profession print 'server', and are prompted for the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM, Browse to the Inf folder on the Windows 98 share.
4. Windows 2000 Professional will check the Msprint.inf file on Windows 98 and prompt you for the files it requires. Browse to the Windows 98 \\<ComputerName>\Windows\System folder.
Windows NT 4.01. Install the Microsoft printer driver on LPT1 on the Windows NT 4.0 computer.
2. Log on to the Windows NT 4.0 computer as a user that has permissions to install printers on the Windows 2000 Professional print 'server'.
3. Use Network Neighborhood to browse to Printer and Faxes on the Windows 2000 print 'server'.
4. Right-click the printer for which you want to add Windows NT 4.0 drivers and press Sharing.
5. In the Windows NT 4.0 Additional Drivers box near the bottom of the Sharing tab, select Windows NT 4.0 x86 and press OK to copy the drivers from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000.
NOTE: The above procedure does NOT work for 3rd party drivers.