When you use the New Connection Wizard, the Connect using a dial-up modem option, and the Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password option, is dimmed (unavailable).
One or both of the following registry keys is corrupt or has erroneous values:
To fix the problem:
1. Use the Registry Editor, regedit.exe, to navigate to:
2. Select (highlight) the NextID sub-key and delete it.
3. Exit the Registry Editor.
4. Start the New Connection Wizard and see if your problem is resolved. If it is, exit this procedure.
5. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:
6. Delete the Telephony sub-key.
7. Exit the Registry Editor.
8. Perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP.