When you type ipconfig /renew, because your new modem won't connect to the Internet, you receive:
An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
Your TCP/IP stack or Winsock library is corrupt.
To fix the problem:
01. Use Regedit.exe to navigate to:
02. Export the Winsock key to a Winsock.reg file, to save it.
03. Delete the Winsock key.
04. Navigate to:
05. Export the Winsock2 key to a Winsock2.reg file, to save it.
06. Delete the Winsock2 key.
07. Exit Regedit.exe.
08. Control Panel / Network and Dial-up Connections.
09. Right-click Local Area Connection and press Properties.
10. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press Uninstall.
11. After uninstalling TCP/IP, shutdown and restart your computer.
12. If TCP/IP is NOT automatically re-installed, use Control Panel / Network and Dial-up Connections.
13. Right-click Local Area Connection and press Properties.
14. Press Install.
15. Press Protocol / Add.
16. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) under Network Protocol, possibly under Microsoft, and press OK.
17. After the TCP/IP install, power off and power on your external modem, or shutdown and restart your computer.