If you install Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 2000, you may receive the subject error when you start Windows Explorer or use the Search feature to locate files or folders.
You may have a program or service installed that is incompatible with IE 6.0.
To resolve this issue, uninstall IE 6.0:
1. Logon with administrative privileges.
2. Close all programs.
3. Use Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 / Change/Remove.
4. Select Restore the earlier Windows configuration and press OK.
5. Press Yes when prompted, to confirm the removal.
6. Press Restart Windows to shutdown and restart your computer.
7. Logon with administrative privileges.
8. Start Windows Explorer to verify that the error no longer happens.
9. Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to download any required security updates for your current version of Internet Explorer.