In addition to the subject behavior:
- Text in programs may be unreadable.
- The Logon screen may act like it is remotely controlled.
These behaviors will occur if you use Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP, or Microsoft Office XP (Setup), to enable speech recognition, but you fail to configure it.
To workaround this behavior:
1. Control Panel / Regional and Language Options / Languages tab / Details.
2. Check the Turn off advanced text services box.
3. Press Yes if you are prompted to confirm your settings.