After upgrading to Windows 2000, you notice that the Fax service is missing, even though it was working on Windows NT 4.0?
NOTE: You can see the Fax service files on your hard disk.
If the upgrade failed to install the Fax service, it probably didn't detect the modem. your only solution is to install the Fax service using the Service Control utility (Sc.exe):
1. Open a CMD prompt and type:
sc create fax binpath= c:\winnt\system32\faxsvc.exe Displayname= "Fax Service"
NOTE: If your installation is in a different location, change the path.
2. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
3. Expand Services and Applications.
4. Expand Services.
5. Double-click the Fax Service.
6. Select the Log On tab and check the Allow service to interact with desktop box.
7. Press OK.
8. Right-click the Fax Service and press Start.