To eliminate the need to press show files:
1. Create a temporary folder in your C: root (C:\noshow).
2. Select the C:\noshow folder in My Computer.
3. Press the View menu and press Customize This Folder....
4. Press Next, Next, Next, and Finish.
5. Remove the customization by pressing View / Customize This Folder... / Next.
6. Press Remove Customization, Next, Next, and Finish.
7. Copy C:\noshow\desktop.ini to both %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32, over writing the existing desktop.ini.
8. Delete the c:\noshow folder.
NOTE: You could actually apply any desired customizations during step 4.