When you apply a Windows 2000 Hotfix, WFP may replace the file(s) with the original version.
Prior to installing a Hofix, use the Knowledge Base article to determine the files that are going to be replaced. You can also use the /x option to expand the hotfix to determine the files included.
If any of the hotfix files are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache folder, open a CMD prompt, prior to applying the Hotfix. Then:
01. Apply the Hotfix, but do NOT shutdown.
02. CD %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache
03. Rename the file(s) to be replaced as <filename>.old.
04. Copy the hofix file(s) to the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache folder.
05. CD to the folder(s) where the original file(s) are located and rename it/them as <filename>.old.
06. Copy the hotfix file(s) to the original folder(s).
07. When you have manually applied all the hotfix files that were in Dllcache, renaming, NOT deleting, the old files in their original folder(s) and in the Dllcache, restart Windows 2000.
08. You will receive:
To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.
Insert your Windows CD-ROM Now
Retry More Information Cancel</b>
You chose not to restore the original versions of the files. This may effect Windows stability.
Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized versions?