If you receive the subject error when your modem starts to initialize, you need to check for the following conditions:
1. The modem is off or malfunctioning. Reset the modem using your documentation.
2. If an external modem, the serial cable is incorrectly pinned or the cable is loose.
3. The serial port or multi-port adapter on the client or server is malfunctioning. Test them.
4. The modem handshaking options are incorrect. Check your manual.
5. The modem is not supported.
6. The modem is improperly configured. Does it have a proper Windows NT .INF file.
7. If your are using an adapter, make sure it is properly wired. A 9-to-25 pin mouse adapter won't work for RAS.