When you scan for updates on the Windows Update Web site from Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) you receive an error similar to:
Error number: 0x8DDD0004
The behavior will occur if the WUWebControl Class Active X control is turned off, or if you don't have Full Control permissions on all of the registry hives.
To correct this behavior:
01. Open Internet Explorer.
02. On the Tools menu, press Internet Options.
03. Select the Programs tab.
04. Press Manage Add-ons.
05. Select WUWebControl Class in the list of add-ons and check Enable in the Settings area.
06. Press OK, OK, and OK.
07. If the problem is resolved, exit this procedure.
08. Grant your account Full Control permissions on all the registry hives:
A. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.
B. When the BIOS information is displayed, press F8.
C. Select Safe Mode from the Windows Advanced Options and press Enter.
D. Select the operating system that you want to start in Safe Mode and press Enter.
E. Log on as Administrator, or as a user with administrative privileges.
F. Start / Run / Regedit / OK.
G. Select a registry hive in the left hand pane, like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
H. Use the Edit menu to press Permissions.
I. Select the account you normally use in the Group or user names box.
J. Check Full Control under Allow and press Apply and OK.
K. Repeat steps G through J for the other hives.
L. Shutdown and restart Windows XP.
09. If the problem is resolved, exit this procedure.