When you restart Windows XP, you receive an error similar to:
Explorer.exe unable to locate component.
This application has failed to start because Browseui.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Your desktop icons, Start menu, and taskbar are NOT displayed.
To workaround this behavior:
01. Restart the computer.
02. When the BIOS information is displayed, press F8.
03. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the Windows Advanced Options and press Enter.
04. Select the operating system that you want to start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.
05. Insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM in the CD drive.
06. At the command prompt, type CD /D %SystemRoot%\System32
07. Type ren browseui.dll browseui.old and press Enter. Ignore any error message.
08. Type <CD Drive:> and press Enter, where <CD Drive:> is the drive letter, followed by a colon, of the CD/DVD drive.
09. Type expand Browseui.dl_ %SystemRoot%\System32\Browseui.dll and press Enter.
10. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and select Shut Down using the TAB key. Press Enter.
11. Use the arrow keys to select Restart and press Enter.
12. When your desktop appears, open Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. If you receive Explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close or Iexplorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, press More Information to verify the module name. If the module is Browseui.dll:
13. Open a CMD.EXE Window.
14. Type regsvr32 /s /u browseui.dll and press Enter.
15. Type regsvr32 /s browseui.dll and press Enter.
16. Shutdown and restart your computer.