If you have the Hot Add Memory feature enabled, you may experience any of the following:
• You experience BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death).
• Drivers do not load.
• Services do not start.
• Devices do not initialize.
• Devices do work properly.\
• System performance is slow.
• The system does not start.
• Programs fail.
• Programs do not start.
• You receive insufficient resources messages.
The Hot Add Memory feature pre-allocates kernel resources, which may cause the maximum size of the paged pool to be much smaller than expected.
This problem is most likely experienced with an x86 box that has lots of RAM and uses the /3GB switch in C:\Boot.ini.
If you are not yet running SP1, you could check with your hardware vendor to determine if the Hot Add Memory feature can be disabled in your BIOS.
If SP1 is installed:
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /V DynamicMemory /T REG_DWORD /F /D GIGS
where GIGS is the number of gigabytes the kernel reserves. A value of 1 reserves 1 GB of memory.
3. Shutdown and restart your server.