A. If you try and load the basicdc.inf file using the Security Configuration and Template MMC snap-in you get an error if you try and load the basicdc.inf file.
You also get errors in event viewer if you try and import it into a default domain controllers group policy object.
This is basically caused by an error in the .inf file which is trying to reference environment variables:
The problem is they only exist during the DCPROMO process and so to resolve you need to manually add them to the machines environment space.
You should first make a note of what the values should be. To find sysvol perform the following:
Share name SYSVOL<br>
Path <b> C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol</b><br>
Remark Logon server share<br>
Maximum users No limit<br>
The command completed successfully.
Make a note of the path name.
To find the DSDIT and DSLOG values check the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
DSDIT is equal to 'DSA Working Directory' and DSLOG is equal to 'Database log files path'.
The next step is to create the environment variables:
- Right click on 'My Computer' and select properties
- Select the Advanced tab and click 'Environment Variables'
- Under the 'System variables' area click New
- Enter a name of 'SYSVOL' and the value equal to your net share sysvol value, e.g. C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol
- Click OK
- Repeat steps 3-5 for DSDIT and DSLOG also
- Click OK to all dialogs
- Goto to the command prompt and enter:
C:\> secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce
You should now be able to load the template with no problems and also this will solve any event log errors.