A. Windows NT Server ships with a limited version of the Network Monitor utility which allows you to monitor only traffic to and from the installed box. The full SMS version allows promiscuous monitoring of the network.
To install the basic NT version:
- Start the Network Control Panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network)
- Select the Services tab
- Click Add
- Select "Network Monitor Tools and Agent". Click OK
- Click OK to the main dialog
- The protocols will be rebound and you will need to reboot the machine
The SMS 1.2 version can be installed as part of a full SMS installation by selecting "Install Admin Tools" option and clicking Custom to add the network monitor. It can also be installed directly from the SMS\nmext directory on the SMS 1.2 CD-ROM:
- Insert the SMS 1.2 CD-ROM
- Move to SMS\nmext\disk1
- Run setup.exe
- Select the installation directory (C:\nm by default). Click Continue
- Files will then be copied
- You will have to set a Network Monitor passwords for capturing and viewing captures (or click No Password).
- Enter your name and click OK
- If the Network Monitor Agent is not installed it will being up the Network control panel applet where you must select the Services tab, click Add and select "Network Monitor Agent". Click OK
- Reboot the machine
SMS 2.0 version instructions will be added shortly.