A. As with RAS its possible to configure a timeout for LAN connections after which idle time the connection will be closed, if you then try and use it the connection will be reconnected, this will be invisible to you but you will experience a slight delay
By default this is 15 minutes however it can be changed by directly editing the registry:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
- Double click autodisconnect
- Set to decimal and set the number of minutes (from -1 to 4294967295)
- Click OK
- Close the registry editor
- Reboot the machine
You can also configure from the command line but registry is preferred as it does not interfere with any of the built-in tuning:
Net Config Server /autodisconnect:60
would disconnect after 60 minutes. Valid is from -1 to 65535.
To turn off the disconnect set to -1 (registry or net config command), DON'T set to 0 as it will autodisconnect all the time!