A. To install SharePoint Team Services on a partition other than C:, perform the following steps:
- Install Microsoft Office XP Professional in a minimum configuration (Microsoft Access is the only optional component you need).
- Navigate to the \sharept\sql\x86\setup folder of the SharePoint CD-ROM and run setupsql.exe to install MSDE--specify the location for the programs and the database on a partition other than C:.
- Navigate to the \sharept folder of the SharePoint CD-ROM and run setupse.exe to start SharePoint Team Services setup.
- Open the SharePoint administration page and update the Web page you want to use for SharePoint, leaving the database connection information set to the default values (machine=netbiosname; the username and password for the connection are both null).
- At the end of the update, you should have a SharePoint home page up and running.
- Reboot the machine.
- Uninstall Office XP Pro and install the Office suite you'll use on that machine.
- If you want to use the C: drive only for system files, you'll have to move the Web site Home Directory before installing MSDE and delete the index catalog named "Web" from one partition and create a new "Web" catalog on another partition.
Thanks to Alessio Tosi for this information.