A. You might experience a problem using Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) and a dial-up connection to view Web pages if all of the following conditions are true:
- You upgraded your system from Windows Me or Windows 98
- Before the upgrade, you configured on the computer a LAN connection that used a proxy server
- Before the upgrade, one or more of the dial-up connections didn't use a proxy server
If you meet all conditions, after you upgrade to XP, the OS installation software incorrectly copies the LAN proxy settings to the dial-up connections. To resolve this error, you must manually remove these settings from each dial-up connection by performing the following steps:
- Start IE.
- From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
- Select the Connections tab.
- Select a dial-up networking entry, then click Settings.
- Clear the "Use a proxy server for this connection" check box.
Click here to view image
- Repeat Steps 2 through 5 for each dial-up networking entry.
- Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.