A. When you use Ntbackup to create a system-state backup of the existing DC information, the DC backup will contain the Active Directory (AD) information for the domain. If you back up the system state from a Global Catalog (GC) server, the new DC that you create from the DC backup can also become a GC. To create the DC backup, perform the following steps:
- Start Ntbackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then click Backup).
- When Ntbackup starts, click Next.
- Select "Back up files and settings," then click Next.
- Select "Let me choose what to back up," then click Next.
- Expand My Computer, select System State (as this figure shows), then click Next.
- Select a location and a name for the backup, then click Next.
- Click Finish to begin creating the DC backup.
- After Ntbackup finishes creating the backup, click Close.
You'll then have a .bkf file that you can use to create a new DC.